Our Story

The BreadBasket-0005.jpg

The Bread Basket Bakery was established in 1982 when owner Joan Tallman began baking out of her home kitchen for friends and family. Joan learned the art of baking from her Swedish grandmother who was a cook by trade. When the demand for more baked goods grew, Joan purchased a second oven and supplied three area farmer’s markets with baked goods. The outdoor venues generated only six months of business so Joan eventually purchased a store front on Ludlow Street in Saratoga Springs. Due to increasing business, she quickly outgrew that store and moved the bakery to 65 Spring Street in Saratoga where it is housed today. 

The Bakery’s building on Spring Street was originally the Pure Oil Company. It is a historic building and a classic example of early 20th century architecture. The building was built in 1933, and was moved from its original location on Broadway in Saratoga to Spring Street in 1978 to prevent demolition. The building was scheduled to be demolished to make way for a new hotel (now the Prime Hotel) when Barbara Willis, and Edward Janulionis of Buffalo NY, decide to save it. The building is one of the last remaining examples of a “Pure Oil English Cottage Station” designed in 1927. The building features a distinctive high-gabled tile roof, copper gutters, and arched doorways and windows.

The building once housed The Great Bay Clam Co., Med Care Supply, and Citibank Mortgage. Joan Tallman purchased the quaint building in 1993, and after some renovations it has become the Bread Basket’s official home. 

The Tallman family runs the bakery today with a staff of 6 and donates all day-old products to the local food pantry. 

The Bread Basket; now a Saratoga Tradition is open 7 days a week throughout the year!